Ayatollah Borujerdi Sentenced to Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ayatollah Borujerdi Sentenced to Death

Iranian and international rights groups have expressed concern over reports suggesting that a possible death sentence was handed down against a controversial Iranian cleric and some of his followers despite subsequent denials among semiofficial media.

Ayatollah Seyyed Hossein Kazemeyni Borujerdi has been a vocal advocate of the separation of religion from politics.

Unconfirmed reports on Iranian websites suggested that Iran's Special Court for the Clergy (SCC) in mid-June ordered the executions.

Borujerdi has been in jail for the past nine months, but his strident argument to secularize political leadership in Iran has long upset the country's ruling clerics.

Iranian and international concerns grew after the reports hinted that Borujerdi and sympathizers had been found guilty of serious charges -- including "waging war against God" -- and sentenced to die.

Semiofficial news agencies soon ran stories quoting at least one unnamed official from the special clerics' court rejecting the reports, saying no sentence has been issued and officials are still reviewing the case.

Borujerdi was arrested at his Tehran home on October 8 along with more than 100 of his sympathizers after violent clashes with police forces. Most of his followers were later released, many on bail.

But Borujerdi remains in jail, with little information available about his condition.

'Very Worrying'

Borujerdi, like many other political and prisoners of conscience detained at Tehran's Evin prison, has reportedly been denied contact with his family and prevented access to legal counsel. Reports say the ayatollah was not allowed to see his mother, who fell ill and died during his detention.

Abdolkarim Lahidji is vice president of the Paris-based International Federation of Human Rights, which allies more than 100 groups in scores of countries. He says he heard reports that Borujerdi -- who appeared before the clerical court in June -- appeared frail, and could neither speak clearly nor stand upright.

"We have been informed by his family that the health condition of Kazemeyni Borujerdi is very worrying," Lahidji says. "He suffers from Parkinson's disease, what has added to his family's concerns that he's been denied treatment -- meaning that they take him to court in this situation, they treat him badly, they take him to court with handcuffs and shackles."

Amnesty International said on June 15 that there are increasing concerns that Borujerdi's treatment in custody is endangering his life. The group added that there are allegations that the ayatollah -- who is also said to suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart problems -- was tortured during interrogations.

Thorn In Officials' Sides

Several days before his arrest, Borujerdi told RFE/RL that he had been under increased government pressure. He also said that authorities had threatened him with execution.

In October, Borujerdi said that authorities had targeted him for what he regards as his traditional interpretation of Islam.

"I demonstrate that real Islam is free of political ornaments," Borujerdi said. "It is included in verses whose interpretation is different from that provided by [the authorities]. Its interpretation is from 1,428 years ago. It is about the rule of the Prophet (Muhammad) and how he lived; he was against repression and opposed discrimination. Our divine leaders took food from their mouths and the mouths of their children to give it to the poor. Today, unfortunately, despite the immense wealth of this country, people live in poverty."

Borujerdi's view on the secularization -- transferring power from clerical to civil control -- could be interpreted as challenging the foundations of the Islamic republic established after Iran's 1979 revolution.

Iranian authorities have accused Borujerdi of misinterpreting Islam. Some have also accused him of claiming to be a representative of the Twelfth Imam -- know as "the Hidden Imam" -- who Shi'a believe disappeared in the 10th century. Borujerdi has rejected such accusations and claimed he follows "the true Islam."

Difficult To Know

Some reports by Iranian news sources suggest the ayatollah and some 20 of his followers were charged with "acting against national security," "waging war against God," and publicly calling Iran's form of "absolute rule of supreme jurisprudence" ("velayate vagih") unlawful.

The International Federation of Human Rights' Lahidji says a lack of transparency by Iran's judiciary and the clerics' court makes it impossible to confirm reports of the charges or possible sentencing.

He thinks Borujerdi and his followers are being tried and persecuted for their convictions.

"Kazemeyni Borujerdi is in favor of non-political Islam, and he's been in prison for more than nine months," Lahidji says. "He and his followers were arrested only because of their ideas -- they're in prison under very difficult conditions, [and] their families are worried and say they have been mistreated to force them to make televised confessions."

Lahidji urged authorities immediately to reverse any sentences against Borujerdi or his followers, whom he describes as "prisoners of conscience."
    Last edited by donsaeid; 07-03-2007, 09:05 AM.
    نه غزه نه لبنان جانم فدای ایران

«در زندگی زخم*هايی هست که مثل خوره روح را آهسته در انزوا می*خورد و می*تراشد.»
    صادق هدايت؛ بوف کور

Seyyed Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi, a voice of Moderate Shiah Islam

Renegade Ayatollah, some call him. Most of the Iranian human rights activists, including me, know him through his late illustrious father and through his bold actions in Iran in 2005. His is the first voice of Moderate Islam echoing aloud from Iran. Tragically, the government of Iran, seemingly, will soon succeed in shutting him down if we don’t move fast.

The Ayatollah and 17 other members of his family were sentenced to death in a private court session in Zafaranieh Tehran on June 10th, 2006. Although very ill and suffering from Parkinson disease, he defended himself in the Iranian court where he did not even have access to a lawyer.

In April 2007, as an activist spokesperson passionately fighting for the rights of 19 political prisoners, I publicly criticized on Fox TV the lack of effort of international committees on his behalf.

I now publicly apologize for my uninformed criticism. Most people, including me, assume the UN and Amnesty International don’t do much because we don’t see many positive results from our petitions. In response to my criticism, I have belatedly learned through personal communication with sources inside these organizations that both have in fact actively petitioned Iran for leniency not only for the Ayatollah but other political prisoners as well. Unfortunately, they do not have the power to enforce the international laws to which Iran is signatory but chooses to ignore. UN officials in Geneva assure me that they are well aware of the mental and physical torture political prisoners are enduring daily and that Mr. Olson, the UN rapporteur, has make repeated appeals but there is not much that either of the international agencies can do to save Ayatollah Boroujerdi or anyone else in Iran.

UN and Amnesty International officers point out the sad-but-true reality that their hands are tied. They can only remind but cannot force the Iranian regime to abide by their international contract prohibiting torture of dissidents. Amnesty has not been able to visit Iran since 1979 and UN visitations have been denied since 2003.

I asked UN officers what can be done to save this and other voices who will loose their lives in the next few months. They answer that the only way seems to be the media and politicians who can sway Iran by denying resources it needs.

I naively thought that since America is searching for an influential Moderate Muslim to stand up to the terrorist Iranian regime, the suicidal willingness of this man to speak out against this medieval theocracy in an effort to avoid military conflict and save the lives of American soldiers would get the immediate attention of someone in the media. Unfortunately I was in for a rude awakening. Fighting for media attention has proven about as difficult as fighting the Iranian regime. I was genuinely shocked when my scheduled appearance on national TV to publicize this voice of reason was pre-empted by Paris Hilton’s family visit to her private cell which is a cut above the 10th century dungeons of Iran’s Evin or the Raji-Shahr prison.

Tears came to my eyes remembering the 19 political prisoners relying on me for help; even as I hoped Americans would want to help. It made me sad to remember that even though Amnesty and UN have done everything they can, Khaled Hardani, who has not been permitted to see his family for six months, will lose his life on July 3, 2007 and I will have to be the one to deliver the message to his family or they will hear it over the Iranian media and it will be as though he never existed.

It made me sad; wondering where was the media two nights ago when prison guards inside Raji -Shahr prison beat Mr. Nasser Khirolahi unconscious and left him lying on the ground to bleed to death? Another of his fellow inmates called me 2:30 AM to let me know that the guards beat him on his spine, damaging disks and leaving his right arm paralyzed.

I am sad to say one of the men I represent has not seen a dentist in many years. Finally, the tooth infection overcame a strong man and brought him to his knees by the pain he felt in his face.

It made me sad that none of these individuals are celebrities and their lives seem to be expandable.
    For the past 28 years, Iran has struggled under a cult of religious Mullah zealots exploiting and ruining the resources of this vast country to support Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in Palestine. Recent evidence reveals that road bombs made in Iran and bearing fake US marks are being used by Al Quaeda in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Those of us who dig deeper in the sand see a master plan by certain individuals in the government of Iran to silence key members of the opposition even, or especially, if they are the son of Grand Ayatollah Broujerdi. Eye witnesses say he was able to rally more than 200,000 people around his house last year to hear him inform the regime that he can no longer bear to witness the atrocities of killing people in the name of Islam. He shouted that he did not believe Khomeini’s broadcast when he returned to Iran because he was not a real Ayatollah. In a rare audio sent to my attention by connections to Ayatollah Broujerdi, he denounces Iran as a religious dictatorship instead of an Islamic Republic outlines Khomeini’s deception and lies and calls for replacing the fake Islam taking over Iranian’s hearts and minds with real Islam. Broujerdi charged that the title velayat-e faqih assumed by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei is not valid. In a handwritten letter to Ayatollah Sistani in Iraq he appeals for support in criticism of the regime.

The Ayatollah then takes another brave step and clashes with Khomeini, explaining who Khomeini really is and how he was made an instant Ayatollah. This is the reason he was sentenced to death in a private court session in Zafaranieh, Tehran along with 17 other family members.

صادق هدايت؛ بوف کور

Comment

Ayatollah Boroujerdi (son of the prominent shia cleric Seyyed Mohammad Ali Kazemeini Boroujerdi) has been sentenced to death together with 17 of his followers.

The secular ideology of this Shia cleric is that the “Hidden Imam” is the only one who has the legitimate competence to rule and pass judgment based on Islam, not the “Supreme Leader” and other self pro-claimed “Marjas” (Council of Guardian) who have the ultimate power in Iran, one after the other above the mostly symbolic president and parliament.

The popularity of Kazemeini made the regime very uncomfortable last year after many speeches he gave against political Islam which lead to his arrest by the Ministry of Intelligence (who at the time spread rumours that Kazemeini claims that he is the 12th Imam himself) . The arrest came in October 2006 in which police faced confrontation by 100s of his followers who surrounded the area. Over 40 of the followers were also arrested, including bloggers who were there to report whats happening.

Since then Kazemeini has gone under heavy tortures in Section 209 of Evin prison. His health started to deteriorate after a hunger strike he started in February, eye-witness reports from his appearance infront of “Special Court for Clergy” (SCC, set up by Khomeini himself in 1987 to combat clerics against the regime) in March claim that he was in a very poor condition, unable to walk upright and was coughing up blood.

In March Kazemeini also appeared on a disgusting TV programme by the regime which goes live in prisons to show tortured political prisoners’ forced fake “confessions”. He appeared in prison uniform and poor condition admitting to his “lies” and how his “poor followers” believed in them!

On Sunday the secular cleric and 80 of his followers appeared in front of the illegal court without the right to have a lawyer. He was sentenced to death on the grounds of over 30 accusations including threat to national security, calling the Velayat-e Faqih “illegitimate”, connections with “anti-revolutionary” forces and spying for them inside the country, creating a new religion called “the traditional religion”, etc etc.

He was in such a poor condition that he found speaking very difficult but he said to the court that he is not guilty of being political but his only real crime is his religious beliefs.

صادق هدايت؛ بوف کور

Comment

URGENT ACTION

Iran: Further information on arbitrary arrest/fear for safety/possible prisoners of conscience
        PUBLIC AI Index: MDE 13/103/2007
        10 August 2007

Further Information on UA 262/06 (MDE 13/114/2006, 29 September 2006) and
        follow-ups (MDE 13/134/2006, 13 October 2006; MDE 13/134/2006, 11 December
        2006; MDE 13/040/2007, 30 March 2007; MDE 13/074/2007, 15 June 2007) -
        Arbitrary arrest/ fear for safety/possible prisoners of conscience/ medical
        concern/torture and ill-treatment

IRAN Ayatollah Sayed Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi (m), aged 49, Shi'a
        cleric
        Sayed Mahdi Kazemeyni Boroujerdi (m), his son
        Massoud Samavatiyan (m)
        Alireza Montazer Sa’eb (m)
        Ali Shahrabi Farahani (m)
        Habib Qouti (m)
        Ahmad Karimiyan (m)
        Majid Alasti (m)

Ayatollah Boroujerdi is reported to be gravely ill, and has been transferred
        from Evin prison to hospital. All but two of his detained followers have been
        released from prison.

Ayatollah Boroujerdi was arrested at his home in Tehran on 8 October 2006,
        along with more than 300 of his followers, during violent clashes with the
        security forces. His 80-year-old mother was among those arrested and was
        allegedly ill-treated.

Held in Tehran’s Evin prison since his arrest, Ayatollah Boroujerdi suffers
        from Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems. He
        had reportedly been denied permission to seek treatment at the prison’s medical
        facility. He began a hunger strike on 22 July, and was transferred to hospital
        the next day. It is not known whether he is receiving adequate medical
        treatment in hospital.

Poor prison conditions, and torture and ill-treatment, have reportedly led to a
        deterioration in Ayatollah Boroujerdi’s pre-existing medical conditions, and
        his health has deteriorated severely in recent weeks. His Parkinson's disease
        has apparently worsened, and he is suffering from permanent shaking of his legs
        and hands, and falls over frequently. There are unconfirmed reports that he
        suffered a heart attack before he was taken to hospital. He has reportedly lost
        30kg since he was arrested.

Ayatollah Boroujerdi has reportedly been tortured and ill-treated on numerous
        occasions since his arrest. He is said to have been beaten, thrown against a
        wall, and had cold water thrown on him when he is sleeping. It has been alleged
        that photographs and videos were taken of him when he had been forced to at
        least partially undress, which the authorities allegedly threatened to
        distribute to force him to confess to a range of allegations and make a
        statement of repentance.

On 20 July a letter was circulated to Iranian media outlets, supposedly written
        by Ayatollah Boroujerdi. Containing self-criticism and expressions of regret
        for his actions, the letter reportedly expressed "repentance" and sought
        forgiveness from the Supreme Leader. Days later he reportedly denied that he
        had written the letter, and suggested it had been written by the Ministry of
        Intelligence.

Ayatollah Boroujerdi is believed to have had at least one court hearing, on 13
        June, which examined some 30 charges. These include "waging war against God"
        (Moharebeh), for which the punishment is death; acts against national security;

publicly calling political leadership by clergy (Velayat-e Faqih) unlawful;
        having links with anti-revolutionaries and spies; and using the term "religious
        dictatorship" instead of "Islamic Republic" in public discourse and radio
        interviews. On 13 June an official of the Special Court for the Clergy
        reportedly told at least two news agencies in Iran that examination of the case against him was continuing, and told the Iranian Students News Agency that the sentence would possibly be issued within the next two months.

A further 62 of his followers were reportedly tried in June. All but two of
        them have reportedly been released on bail, possibly to await their verdicts.
        Those whose names are known to Amnesty International who have been released include Habib Qouti, Alireza Montazer Sa’eb, Majid Alasti and Ayatollah Boroujerdi’s son, Sayed Mahdi Kazemeyni Boroujerdi.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Ayatollah Boroujerdi rejects the principle of political leadership by the
        clergy (Velayat-e Faqih), which is a central feature of Iran’s constitution. He
        advocates the removal of religion from the political basis of the state. Since
        1994 he says he has been summoned repeatedly before the Special Court for the
        Clergy, and detained in Evin and other prisons. He has reportedly developed
        heart and kidney problems as a result of torture or ill-treatment.

Comment

حسين كاظميني بروجردي مدتي پيش با برنامه ريزي و حمايت تبليغاتي رسانه هاي خارج از كشور با ادعاي ارتباط با امام زمان، دادن اذكار عجيب به مردم و ادعاي حل مشكلات آنان و ادعاي رهبري دين سنتي و مكاتبه با سران كشورهاي اروپايي و غربي و هم چنين پاپ و مصاحبه با راديو و رسانه هاي خارجي سعي در ايجاد آشوب و جنجال و بزرگ نمايي خود داشت .
          وي در ادعاهاي خود مدعي شد كه نوه آيت الله العظمي بروجردي است در صورتيكه بعد از دستگيري سطح پايين علمي و نسب واقعي اش برملا شد.

اوج فعاليتهاي تبليغاتي كاظميني بروجردي و همراهانش در مهرماه سال گذشته اتفاق افتاد و به سرعت فروكش كرد. در اين حال جرج بوش مدتي پيش در حمايت از كاظميني بروجردي سخناني در دفاع از آزادي مذهبي و حقوق فردي ايراد كرد.

سيد حسين كاظميني بروجردي با تبليغات و چاپ عكس خود در كنار مرقد حضرت امام موسي كاظم عليه السلام و مقبره پدر و پدربزرگش در بروجرد آنها را در روستاها و شهرستانها توزيع مي كرد. براي حضور مردم در جلسات سخنراني اش از پول صدقات اتوبوس تهيه مي كرد و به شدت در تلاش براي تشكيل جلسات پرجمعيت تر و شلوغ تر بود.
          بروجردي با تكيه بر بيان اغوا كننده خود توانسته بود عده اي از مردم ساده و ناآگاه را در اطراف خود گردآورد. وي مدعي رهبري اسلام سنتي و دين سنتي شده بود. حمايت و رسانه هاي خارجي و ماهواره ها از وي باعث توهم رهبري و مرجعيت در وي شده بود. در اين بين ارتباطات خاص و بعضا مسئله داري كه از آن سوي مرزها با وي برقرار مي شد باعث شد تا نوعي خود شيفتگي سياسي و ديني در هدايت يك انقلاب و براندازي جمهوري اسلامي در او ايجاد شود.
          او شعرها و دعاها را در آهنگهاي مختلف مي خواند و با اظهارات عجيب و غريب عناصر غيرمذهبي و ناسالم را در اطراف خود جمع كرده بود. وي از خواندن صحيح قرآن و مفاتيح الجنان عاجز بود.
          در فيلم هاي ويدئويي كه خود از خود تهيه نموده اكثرا ادعيه را هم از لحاظ لفظي و هم از لحاظ معنوي غلط مي خواند. از جمله قبل از شروع نماز به خداوند خطاب مي كند:« يا من لايغير ذنبه لا هو» اي كسي كه گناهش بخشيده نمي شود الا او كه اين جمله اگر با اگاهي بود شرك محسوب مي شد.وي در جلسات محاكمه انگيزه خود را قدرت طلبي و سوء استفاده از سادگي مردم مي داند. وي تاكيد مي كند وقتي مردم جاهل به من سواري مي دهند چرا سوار نشوم ؟
          وي در اخرين جلسه دادگاه خود را فريب خورده ضد انقلاب خارجي دانست وتاكيد كرد نوري زاده بارها با وي تماس گرفته و وي را تحريك به استقامت كرده و گفته : « اگر مدت كمي مقاومت كني ناتو به ايران حمله مي كند و كار آنها تمام مي شود و تو مي شوي رهبري ديني » حتي خانمي از راديو سوئد زنگ زد و ضمن تبريك گفت هيچ روحاني به اندازه تو روي كره زمين معروف نشده است.

Comment

http://www.hrairan.org/index.php?opt...107&Itemid=261

Comment

Ayatollah Seyyed Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi is an Iranian Muslim cleric who advocates the separation of religion and government. He first expressed his opposition to the Islamic regime in 1994.

Boroujerdi opposes the theocratic concept of rule or "guardianship" by Islamic jurists. He said Iranians are "tired of the religion of politics and political slogans." The Iranians "believe that they are loyal to the fundamentals of the true religion and the Prophet's mission, but they are opposed to the politicization of religion and its exploitation by a group that has nothing to do with true Islam. Islam is the religion of tolerance, forbearance, and mercy, to the point where [the Qur'an] emphasized to us that 'there is no compulsion in religion."

Boroujerdi and many of his followers were arrested in Tehran on October 8, 2006, following a clash between police and hundreds of his followers "172 women and 225 men". Iranian officials charged him with having claimed to be a representative of the hidden Imam, a venerated figure in Shia Islam.

In June 2007, the Special Court for the Clergy prosecuted him behind closed doors. The authorities have not provided any official accounting regarding his prosecution and sentencing. According to his associates, he was initially sentenced to death, but upon appeals his sentence was reduced to 11 years in prison, ten of which must be served in exile in city of Yazd. He has been deprived of access to an independent attorney throughout his prosecution and imprisonment. Ayatollah Boroujerdi is suffering from multiple health complications, including heart and respiratory problems and kidney stone complications.

SIGN THE PETITION TO FREE AYATOLLAH BOROUJERDI

FROM THE PRISON OF THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Maat2/petition.html

For more information in Persian and English visit:

http://bameazadi14.blogspot.com/

Courtesy: Wikipedia, Youtube, Bameazadi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV57GyIBZ50

Comment

hello!, delivers
                Last edited by Rasputin; 03-28-2009, 03:22 AM. Reason: adds is forbbiden.

Comment

Working...
                X