Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Science Special News

The stories they tell may seem haunting, but Kathie Lee and J. Neal Gray consider them part of the human experience. Sounds of unknown footsteps are heard on the stairs, water faucets turn on by themselves, and ghostly visitors occupy the homes of nearby neighbors. It might sound scary, but theres nothing to be afraid of, say Lee and Gray, authors of a new book Raising Scituates Spirits. The co-authors want their readers to see the normal within what is known as the paranormal. "This is not folklore," said Lee about the collection of first-hand accounts. "These are actual experiences." Although their book was nearly a 9-year effort, Lee and Gray really began to collect their ghostly content within the last year or two, chronicling haunted happenings all over town -from Country Way and Surfside Road, to the West End, the historical Mann House and the Scituate Yacht Club. Their interest in penning a book on local ghost stories began with their own experiences. After meeting years ago at an Irish Ceilidhe ceremony in Duxbury, telling tales and singing songs with a Gaelic group, Lee and Gray exchanged some of their most memorable ghost stories. Gray said he encountered the spirit of a deceased co-worker while working at an engineering company in Boston in 1974.

"Sure enough it's him coming in," he said about seeing his former fellow employee walking around the office bringing with him a feeling of cold air and a smell of cigarettes. "I was standing on the table I was so scared." Lee, who believes all Irish people are "mystic," smiled when she though back to when the spirits of young children used to inhabit her Scituate home. She even named a song after the sound they made when frolicking through her home.

Japan Embraces Space Tourism

Space Adventures of Arlington, Virginia has sealed the deal on an exclusive marketing partnership with the Tokyo-based travel agency, JTB Corporation.

The agreement announced today opens wide the door for the Japanese to buy commercial treks into space and related experiences from Space Adventures.

JTB will market a wide array of programs available from Space Adventures, including the recently announced Deep Space Expeditions (DSE-Alpha) mission to the Moon -- the first in a series of lunar missions being offered. That mission could liftoff as early as 2008, according to a Space Adventures press statement.

The cost of trekking to the Moon, rounding it, and heading back to Earth is priced at a “circum-spectacular” cost of $100 million a seat, in U.S. dollars. Two commercial seats per would be available. More good news: A third seat is occupied by a pilot cosmonaut.

The mission would utilize a Russian-supplied, but beefed up Soyuz spacecraft, a design thoroughly shaken out via piloted and unpiloted testing.

Future DSE missions plan to include lunar-orbit and lunar-surface missions. Among Space Adventures’ portfolio of projects is a suborbital program, currently in development, that consists of a four-day training period and a 90-minute spaceflight that gives a passenger up to five minutes of microgravity.

Space Adventures notes that suborbital spaceflights are expected to start in the 2007-08 timeframe. The current price for that activity is $102,000.

Currently, U.S. space tourist, Gregory Olsen of New Jersey, is finishing his orbital spaceflight preparations at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center in Russia.

Olsen is forking up $20 million for a 10-day visit to the International Space Station. His Space Adventures brokered departure is scheduled for Oct. 1, 2005.

The fear of sleep paralysis

Michele Mclean: The sound of footsteps comes up the stairs as I lie in bed. Someone is in my house. The creaking of the stair floorboards is a familiar sound, as the footsteps grow closer. I tell myself to wake up, but I cannot move. I lie helpless on my back. My legs, arms, even my head feel like dead weight. I struggle to even open my eyes but nothing happens. The stranger is now at the top of the stairs and starting down the hallway. I again tell myself to wake up. I try to scream. I try to make any noise, but like the rest of my body, my voice doesn't work. As the footsteps enter my room and walk toward my bed I am able to force my eyes open. No one is there! I didn't know it at the time, but what I had experienced was sleep paralysis. Al Cheyne, a retired professor of psychology at the University of Toronto and the University of Waterloo has been researching sleep paralysis for 10 years.

"It's a dream hallucination," Cheyne said. "It's an intrusion of dream-like imagery into your waking life. That's why it tends to occur around times of falling asleep or waking up and waking up in the middle of the night in this state where you can't move." People report a sense of something or someone in the room, and a sense of terror is common, he said. Some people will wake up and not be able to move for a few seconds, he said.

Did huge volcanic blast snuff out the dinosaurs ?

A buildup of gases caused by huge volcanic eruptions may have killed off the dinosaurs, according to new research from one the largest lava flows in Earth's history. Known as the Deccan Traps, the massive lava deposits in west-central India are over a mile (two kilometers) thick and span an area comparable to Oregon and Washington State combined. The geologic formation appeared 65 million years ago—around the time of the Cretaceous-Tertiary mass extinction that wiped out some 85 percent of Earth's species. A team of French and Indian geologists recently reported that the Deccan Traps lava might have piled up so quickly that climate-altering sulfuric gases from the eruptions could have made Earth's environment deadly to many species. New tests reveal that one 2,000 foot-thick (600 meter-thick) lava section could have accumulated in just 30,000 years. That's lightning-fast by geologic standards. "Our working hypothesis is that the majority of the total volume of lava might have been erupted in only a few major events spread over only a small fraction of millennia," said Anne-Lise Chenet of the Paris Geophysical Institute's paleomagnetism laboratory.

"Volcanic eruptions can inject large amounts of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. If [little] time passes between different volcanic processes, you change the climate and have a big impact on the environment," she said. "That's why we began the study, because we wanted to know how many different volcanic processes [were] necessary to produce the volume of lava [at Deccan Traps]."

cheh jaleb

'Out-of-body' experiences may come from within

Psychologists at The University of Manchester are investigating the idea that out-of-body experiences, commonly thought of as paranormal phenomena, may in fact have their roots in how people perceive and experience their own bodies. Around 10% of the population have an out-of-body experience (OBE) at some time, typically involving a sensation of floating and seeing the physical body from the outside. It isn't uncommon for people to have more than one OBE, and they may also occur as part of the wider near-death experience some report experiencing in life-threatening circumstances.Despite the high incidence of OBEs however, there is still a great deal scientists don't know about the phenomenon. The University of Manchester study, funded by the Portuguese Bial Foundation which supports the scientific study of the physical and spiritual nature of Man, will use an online questionnaire on body perceptions and experience to examine differences between those who have and have not experienced OBEs. The survey will also gather details on the different kinds of OBEs people have, to categorise these experiences more precisely.David Wilde, the researcher running the project, said, "There are several theories as to why people have OBEs. A common link between them is the idea that in certain circumstances the brain somehow loses touch with sensory information coming in from the body. This triggers a series of psychological mechanisms which can lead to someone having an OBE.

"In this study we aim to take the theory a stage further, by looking at the way people see and experience their bodies, and how - through perfectly ordinary psychological processes - these images and experiences may create the impression of seeing their bodies from the outside."The research team hopes to capture data from at least 500 members of the public from anywhere in the world. Both people who have had an OBE and those who have not are encouraged to take part

Source of Cosmic Dust Found

Researchers believe they have identified the main source of the cosmic dust that gets dumped on Earth – meteoroids. A new study shows that grains of dust left in meteoroid trails are larger than previously thought.

Meteoroids are chunks of rocky debris – ranging in size from a grain of sand to a boulder – that zip through the solar system. Some make their way to Earth and buzz through the atmosphere, leaving fiery streaks known as shooting stars, along with clouds of dust particles.

For a long time, scientists thought that these particles were just a few nanometers in size. Now, Andrew Klekociuk of the Australian Antarctic Division and his colleagues have studied the dust cloud from a recent large meteoroid and determined that the dust particles are actually 10 to 20 micrometers – a thousand times larger than previously thought.

On Sept. 3, 2004 a large meteor – estimated to have an original mass of a million kilograms – crashed through the Earth's atmosphere, releasing more energy than a 15 kiloton nuclear bomb.

Not only did this meteor leave bright streaks of fire as it tore through the atmosphere, it left behind a trail of meteoritic ‘smoke' or dust. The dust cloud stretched across altitudes from 35 to 11 miles (56 to 18 kilometers) and hung in sky for weeks.

"There is some uncertainty in the total influx of meteoric matter, but it is probably on the order of 40 +/- 20 thousand tons per year," Klekociuk told SPACE.com. "Our event represented a mass influx of about one thousand tons."

'Proof' our brains are evolving

University scientists say they have found strong proof that the human brain is still evolving. By comparing modern man with our ancestors of 37,000 years ago, the Chicago team discovered big changes in two genes linked to brain size. One of the new variants emerged only 5,800 years ago yet is present in 30% of today's humans, they believe. This is very short in evolutionary terms, suggesting intense selection pressures, they told Science.Each gene variant emerged around the same time as the advent of so called "cultural" behaviours. The microcephalin variant appeared along with the emergence of traits such as art and music, religious practices and sophisticated tool-making techniques, which date back to about 50,000 years ago. It is now present in about 70% of humans alive today.

The other, called the ASPM variant, originated at a time that coincides with the spread of agriculture, settled cities and the first record of written language. Researcher Dr Bruce Lahn said the big question was whether the genetic evolution seen had actually caused the cultural evolution of humans or was merely chance. Their hunch is that it might have something to do with the important role that these genes play in brain size, but stressed that did not necessarily mean better intelligence. "Just because these genes are still evolving doesn't necessarily mean they make you any smarter," said Dr Lahn.

Dream team ready to probe Loch Ness for monster

A dream team of experts, who have explored the ocean depths from the tropics to the dark waters below the Polar ice caps, has assembled at Loch Ness for what is being hailed as the definitive expedition to uncover its secrets. The experts, who are all volunteers and include one member who flew in from hurricane-ravaged New Orleans, will be using the most up-to-date equipment available - among them Sonar systems which convert soundwaves into a near photographic image of the loch bed and a self-piloting underwater vehicle only recently declassified for civilian use.

In charge of the expedition is veteran Nessie-hunter Robert Rines who has been involved in scientific expeditions on Loch Ness since 1970 and had his own sighting of a mysterious large animal in the loch two years later.In 1974, his US Academy Of Applied Sciences investigation team captured the underwater image of a flipperlike object which was shown on television and in newspapers around the world, but 31 years on he feels the latest expedition has the best ever chance of bringing to light the loch's mysteries.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 11-19-2005 at 04:50 AM.

living forever

In 1998 a scientist at the California Institute of Technology discovered a gene that could extend the life of fruit flies by 30%. He dubbed it the Methuselah gene after the Biblical prophet who lived to 969.
    Now a self-taught gerontologist believes our mortality could one day be similarly extended.

At a conference at Queens' College, Cambridge, this week, Aubrey de Grey, a 41-year-old Cambridge computer scientist, told a research audience that there was no reason why people should not live to 1,000.

It sounds like science fiction, but for all that Dr de Grey has been dismissed as a crank, his papers continue to be published in peer-reviewed journals and scientists continue to flock to his meetings.

The editor of the MIT Technology Review has gone so far as to offer a $20,000 (Ł11,000) prize to any gerontologist who could put together a serious argument refuting his claims. So far there have been no takers.

According to Dr de Grey, such attacks are to be expected. "Traditionally, mainstream gerontologists have preferred to talk about compressing morbidity, but longevity is becoming impossible to avoid," he says.

Dr de Grey, whose day job includes investigating the fruit fly genome, says it is simply a matter of living long enough to take advantage of biotechnology therapies which promise to reverse the tissue damage that comes with age.

He calls his doctrine Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence, or Sens for short. He has identified seven deadly aspects of ageing, ranging from frayed DNA molecules to tangled proteins that interfere with neurons, sparking Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, to defects in mitochondria, the intracellular structures that power the cell and are vital to the control of free radicals involved in neuromuscular and other diseases.

Some of Dr de Grey's solutions, such as using stem cells to engineer new tissues, organs and nerve cells, are already in the works. But his most inventive contribution has been to propose radical solutions. One of these is a body-wide rubbish removal program that would clean up the junk that tends to accumulate inside cells by implanting in people genes from soil bacteria that have the ability to metabolise waste.

But to get to the stage where such interventions are feasible will require a huge research commitment. That is why, in a bid to convince the world that he is really on to something, Dr de Grey is offering a Methuselah Mouse prize of $160,000 to the first scientist who succeeds in extending the lifespan of an adult mouse from two to five - the equivalent, in human terms, of going from 80 to 150.

"At the moment the public and many gerontologists tend to put increased longevity in the same bracket as transponder beams - in other words, science fiction," admits Dr de Grey. "But once we meet the robust mouse test I predict scientists will fall in behind my theories and the public will insist politicians make these therapies available to everyone."

Millions are poured into research each year to counter the deleterious effects of ageing, with some scientists hoping that stem cells hold the key. However far-fetched Dr de Grey's theories, others at the conference were also offering solutions to the effects of ageing.

Michael West, the chief executive of the US biotech company Advanced Cell Technology and a world authority on human therapeutic cloning, presented a paper on how in the near future human somatic cells could be reprogrammed to treat neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

And Ronald Kahn, professor of medicine at Harvard and the director of the Joslin diabetes research centre, described how his team were zeroing in on the secrets of the Klotho gene, yet another anti-ageing gene that has been shown to keep mice alive 30% longer than normal.

Others are more cautious of the grand sweep of Dr de Grey's claims.

"There's no doubt that Aubrey is an interesting guy but I don't buy a lot of his hyperbole," says David Finkelstein, the program director of the US National Institute of Ageing.

"Some of the extrapolations from animal experiments are frankly silly. Just because something works for a mouse that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work for us."

Five bars to immortality

Signs of ageing and their solutions or cures, according to Aubrey de Grey

1 Cell depletion This happens in important tissues, including the heart and brain

Cure Treat primarily by introducing growth factors to stimulate cell division or by periodic transfusion of stem cells engineered to replace the types that have been lost

2 Unwanted cells In later years fat cells proliferate and replace muscle, sparking diabetes and heart disease

Cure Receptors on surface of such cells are susceptible to immune bodies that scientists will learn how to generate

3 Chromosome mutations Immortality of cancer cells is related to the behaviour of the telomere, the caplike structure found on the end of every chromosome, which decreases in length each time the cell divides

Cure Engineer cells so they no longer carry the gene for telomeres, thus stopping tumour from dividing. De Grey would also replace a person's stem cells every 10 years

4 Mitochondria mutations Mitochondria are the tiny machines that power the cell

Cure Copy genes from the mitochondrial DNA and put them into the DNA of the nucleus, where they will be safer from mutation-causing influences

5 Accumulation of 'junk' within the cell

As cells digest large molecules, the waste accumulates in intracellular structures called lysosomes. Atherosclerosis, hardening of the arteries, is biggest manifestation.

Cure De Grey proposes inserting genes from soil bacteria, which break down waste, into the lysosomes

Do you knew that in the years of 1920 already existed an electrical car? Now 85 years later, how far we are?

really ? where?

Don´t know, that´s what i know about it

ooo hmm interesting

...mhhh

Pyschic 'heard' dead woman in Italian lake.

An Italian psychic who led police to the body of a missing woman at the bottom of Lake Como says an unworldly vision allowed her to unravel the three-year-old mystery. Maria Rosa Busi, who sceptics call a fake, said she saw the last moments of Chiara Bariffi's life before she plunged into the lake inside her car in late 2002, and even heard a message from the deceased."I went to the lake, and I saw where it happened ... I heard her, I saw her and I drew a map," Busi told Reuters. "Nobody thought she was in the lake."Busi, who says she has clairvoyant powers, was first contacted by the parents of the victim earlier this year to find out what happened to their daughter. They sent her a photograph of Bariffi, who was around 30 years old when she disappeared."When I saw the photo, I knew that she was dead," Busi said.

"I'm a clairvoyant. I can tell when someone is living or dead."Police had been baffled and the missing persons case had languished. Murder was a possibility and, since Bariffi had also battled with emotional problems, there was a theory she committed suicide.The family even heard that Bariffi might have left the country for Spain, Busi said.While refusing to say outright how she thought Bariffi died, something she only told the mother, Busi suggested bad weather near the northern lake probably played a role in her fate."That evening there was a flood, a landside, there were problems on the road," she said.

Secret of Delphi Oracle found in ancient text

Researchers at the University of Leicester have unravelled a 2,700 year old mystery concerning The Oracle of Delphi – by consulting an ancient farmer’s manual. The researchers from the School of Archaeology and Ancient History sought to explain how people from across Greece came to consult with the Oracle – a hotline to the god Apollo- on a particular day of the year even though there was no common calendar. Now their findings, published in this month’s edition of the journal Antiquity, suggests celestial signs observed by farmers could also have determined the rituals associated with Apollo Delphinios Postgraduate student Alun Salt said: “The manual, Works and Days by Hesiod, dating to the eight century BC, describes the right time to plant crops or harvest by observing a variety of signs. One particular event he frequently looked for was the heliacal rising of a star, its first appearance that year in the morning sky. “I was playing around with a planisphere while suffering from insomnia. This is when I noticed that the constellation Delphinus would have been rising in the eastern sky in late December and early January. This is the same time that some cities were sacrificing to Apollo Delphinios. “I wondered if ritual events could use the same system described by Hesiod. The problem was that January wasn’t the time Apollo Delphinios was questioned at Delphi.

Delphi was a month late compared to other cities. I knew the cliffs at Delphi would delay the rising of Delphinus there, but I didn’t know by how much.” Efrosyni Boutsikas, a fellow postgraduate at Leicester, had surveyed Delphi as part of her PhD and had the figures. She said: “The temple of Apollo at Delphi is overlooked by huge cliffs to the east. These block out the view of the lower part of the eastern sky. The horizon is so high the stars have to climb a long way before they are visible just before sunrise. “This means that if you’re holding an early morning ritual like preparing to consult Apollo, and you want to see a constellation, you have to wait around a month after other cities with flat horizons.”

Real ghosts, hunting and quantum physics

Robin Renee Bridges: One of the benefits of a lifetime of afterlife communication is that I know a lot about ghosts … what they are and what they’re not. For instance, they’re not “caught between worlds.” And they don’t need us to help them “move on.” They’re exactly where they’re supposed to be. You don’t honestly think that God, the Creator of the Universe, would leave their eternal fate in your and my hands, do you?You CAN say that they are “earthbound,” but that’s because their consciousness never left the earth. And when you die, yours won’t either. We’re all right here together forever. That’s just the nature of the afterlife. Yes, knowing the laws of the afterlife can make these things a lot clearer.Lately, I’ve been researching what folks believe about ghosts and hauntings. I’ve investigated the investigations. Repeatedly I’ve read, “We don’t use ouija boards, séances, mediums or occult methods.”

Yet it’s common for ghost researchers to accept, as an underlying condition of their investigations, the erroneous claims of psychics, mediums, and channels.I’m referring to such concepts as “caught between worlds,” “unfinished business,” “earthbound souls,” and ghost children in distress. At the same time ominous warnings urge vigilant caution in case non-human demons and malevolent entities are encountered. Oh, and don't forget the Hollywood expression, "Go to the light." Scientific research can’t be conducted properly on a foundation of superstition.
    [img=http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4325/afterlife9pk.jpg]

Religious beliefs 'damaging', claims research

Religious belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today. According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems. The study counters the view of believers that religion is necessary to provide the moral and ethical foundations of a healthy society. It compares the social peformance of relatively secular countries, such as Britain, with the US, where the majority believes in a creator rather than the theory of evolution. Many conservative evangelicals in the US consider Darwinism to be a social evil, believing that it inspires atheism and amorality. Many liberal Christians and believers of other faiths hold that religious belief is socially beneficial, believing that it helps to lower rates of violent crime, murder, suicide, sexual promiscuity and abortion.

The benefits of religious belief to a society have been described as its “spiritual capital”. But the study claims that the devotion of many in the US may actually contribute to its ills. The paper, published in the Journal of Religion and Society, a US academic journal, reports: “Many Americans agree that their churchgoing nation is an exceptional, God-blessed, shining city on the hill that stands as an impressive example for an increasingly sceptical world. “In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies.

New species' of ancient flying reptile found

Paleontologists have uncovered the remains of two new flying reptile species that shared the skies with early birds 120 million years ago in what is now China. The two species, Feilongus youngi and Nurhachius ignaciobritoi, belong to a family of flying reptiles known as pterosaurs. Both were discovered in Liaoning, a northeastern province of China famous for yielding fossils of bird-like dinosaurs. Feilongus had two crests atop its head running from front to back, one along its foot-long snout and another on the back of its head. It had a slight overbite and its teeth were curved and needle-shaped, while that of Nurhachius were pointed and triangular. Both species had wingspans of about 8-feet and belonged to groups previously found only in Europe.

Pterosaurs were distant relatives of dinosaurs and ruled the skies for millions of years before birds. The members of their order ranged from that of sparrow-sized Pterodactyls to Quetzalcoatlus, the largest flying creature of all time with a wingspan of up to 40-feet. Some pterosaurs flew by flapping their wings like modern birds. Others, like Feilongus and Nurhachius, used their thin wings of stretched skin to ride the wind like kites. Many pterosaurs were covered in hair similar to that of mammals.

Astronomers Surprised: Stars Born Near Black Hole

Black holes are best known for ripping stars apart, but new observations of the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way show that it’s actually helping stars form.

Until now, scientists had disagreed about the origin of a collection of massive stars orbiting less than a light-year from our galaxy’s central black hole, which scientists call Sagittarius A*. The stars were first seen by infrared telescopes.

The new finding, based on observations from the Chandra X-ray Observatory, confirms the theory that black holes can help form massive stars and gives more support to the idea that black holes play a big role in galaxy formation.

“In one of the most inhospitable places in our galaxy, stars have prevailed,” said study co-author Sergei Nayakshin of the University of Leicester. “It appears that star formation is much more tenacious than we previously believed.”

Rosslyn Chapel's carvings explained at last

The doors of Rosslyn Chapel have shut behind the cast and crew of The Da Vinci Code. But grail tourists will continue to travel to this place of 21st century pilgrimage and walk in the footsteps of the Knights Templar and the Holy Grail. Behind all the fantastical nonsense there are lone voices asking us to put aside the hype, look inside the chapel and open our eyes to what it really is. They don't see heretic knights and ancient secrets but an important remnant of medieval architecture deserving of serious study that has been prostituted on the altar of commercialism.Just in case you've been asleep (or abducted by aliens) you may need a quick re-cap on current "theories" re Rosslyn. Revisionist historians consider Rosslyn to be a grail chapel. Built by Sir William Sinclair in 1446 as a copy of the Temple of Solomon, its intricate carvings hint at secrets passed down to the family since the fall of the Templars in 1307.

Depending on your inclination the chapel is the final resting-place for Jesus's head, Templar treasure or any number of outlandish ideas.According to the new book Rosslyn and the Grail by Mark Oxbrow and Ian Robertson, it is none of these things. The authors place the chapel firmly in its 15th century context and finally reveal the true meaning of the carvings. In doing so they seek to revisit the history of the Sinclair family and cast doubt on those who paint a 14th century William Sinclair as a Knight Templar."The Sinclairs were devout Catholics who were ruined by clinging to their Catholicism in the face of the reformation," says Oxbrow. "William Sinclair has been dead for (about) 700 years. There is no-one left to defend him, and to accuse him of being a Templar is appalling."

Pyramid found in the heart of Bosnia

Near the city of Visoko, 30 km north of Sarajevo, there is a stone pyramid of monumental size, claims the Bosnian archeologist Semir Osmanagic, who lives and works in the USA. After several months of geological and archeological research, Mr. Osmanagic concluded that under the present hill of Visocica hides a stairs-like pyramid, about 12,000 years old. Osmanagic, who intensively researched on pyramids in Americas, Asia and Africa for the last 15 years and wrote several books on the subject, says he's quite sure he found the first pyramid in Europe, which is quite similar to ones in the Southern America.He believes that the project would completely change Bosnia's significance in the world of archeology.On the top of "Bosnian pyramid of Sun" was a temple, built by pre-Illyrians, people who lived, according to Osmanagic, 27,000 years ago.Mr. Osmanagic thinks he will solve the "Bosnian pyramid of Sun" in the next five years, but also prove the existence of "Bosnian pyramid of Moon", lying under the neighboring hill of Križ?.

According to BBC, the leading Bosnian newspaper "Dnevni Avaz" writes:"The pyramid is 100 metres high and there is evidence that it contains rooms and a monumental causeway ... The plateau is built of stone blocks, which indicates the presence at the time of a highly developed civilisation," the daily explains."Archaeological excavations near the surface have uncovered a part of a wall and fragments of steps," it reveals."Visocica hill could not have been shaped like this by nature," geologist Nada Nukic tells the daily. "This is already far too more than we have anticipated, but we expect a lot more from further analysis," she concludes.

MoD probes UFO sightings

Wales is being invaded by little green men, with the Ministry of Defence probing a new UFO sighting every six weeks. MoD records handed to Wales on Sunday show 28 official reports of UFO sightings over the past three years.They include objects with legs spinning over the Valleys, a flying disc over Newport and a large black object hovering above Rhyl.The MoD says there are probably "rational explanations" for the sightings, but it would be a waste of money to examine further.But alien experts say many of the sightings cannot be explained so easily and need examining.The figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, show seven sightings in 2002, eight in 2003, four in 2004 and nine so far this year.All but one were spotted in the south of the country - a large black object sighted over Rhyl in March 2004.Julie Monk, director of air staff at the MoD, said they examined UFO reports only to check if foreign aircraft had entered UK airspace.She said: "Unless there is evidence of a potential threat to the UK from an external source, and to date no UFO report has revealed such evidence.

We do not attempt to identify the precise nature of each sighting reported to us."We believe that rational explanations, such as aircraft lights or natural phenomena, could be found for them if resources were diverted for this purpose, but it is not the function of the MoD to provide this kind of aerial identification service."It would be an inappropriate use of defence resources if we were to do so."

Zooming in on our galaxy’s glittering heart

Astronomers have obtained the closest glimpse yet of the supermassive black hole thought to lurk at the centre of our galaxy, the Milky Way. They focused on radio emissions around the black hole over an area equal in width to the distance between the Earth and the Sun (1 astronomical unit).Zhi-Qiang Shen of the Shanghai Astronomical Observatory in China and colleagues in the US examined the radio source at the centre of our galaxy, known as Sagittarius A. They used a network of 10 radio telescopes spanning 5000 miles, known as the Very Large Baseline Array (VLBA). The radio source is thought to mark the location of a titanic black hole that is guzzling surrounding light and matter. The radio emissions are thought to come from highly energised gas closely orbiting the black hole, rather than the black hole itself.