Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maziar Jobrani

Thumbs up Maziar Jobrani

Our own Maz Jobrani is once again heading to the studio to take part in a promising new pilot entitled "Let's Rob Mick Jagger (a.k.a. Untitled Donal Logue Project)". This ABC production is about the legendary Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger, who plays himself, and is about to experience a robbery at his Manhatten penthouse. The comedy features an unfortunate apartment building janitor, played by Donal Logue, who, along with a crew of similarly ordinary but frustrated accomplices - tries to rob Jagger. That is where Maz comes in.

"I play Gourishankar Subrimaniam - an Indian cab driver who used to be a lawyer in India who is part of the crew, " Maz told us. Touchstone's Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman are behind this pilot, which also stars Josh Grisetti, Kevin Michael Richardson, Koji Kataoka, Lenny Venito, and Sofa Vergara. David Letterman serves as an executive producer.

Maz, who is not a new-comer to pilots is very excited about working alongside this cast of characters. The star was once cast in the FOX sitcom "Life on a Stick". He is also a veteran standup comedian, having performed in many comedy clubs including LA's Comedy Store, the Laugh Factory, The Improv and New York's Comedy Cellar.

His extensive range of acting can be seen in the wide variety of big budget films and TV shows he has been a part of. He has appeared in feature films "Friday After Next", opposite Jennifer Garner in "13 going on 20" and Nicole Kidman in "The Interpreter", among others.

Maz not only performs comedy roles well, he also has done an amazing job in his serious roles. As an example, his role on "West Wing" puts him in a caliber that cannot be touched by many in Hollywood. His accents, whether Arabic, Turkish, Indian, Iranian, or American, all sound authentic and make this rising talent a delight to watch. It is this range that has allowed him to appear in such a multitude of roles in top TV shows, including opposite Seindfeld's Larry David in "Curb Your Enthusiams", "24", "NYPD", "Law and Order" and more.

What is truly refreshing and smart about Maz's credits is that he has always managed to accept roles that take advantage of his "middle-eastern" assets, without conforming to negative stereotypes of terrorists and killers. Perhaps he owes this to his comedy career, born from his own personal sense of humor. Maz's roles often reflect his sensibilities around what characters he portrays best and so far, he has knocked it out of the park.

We wish Maz and Mick the best of luck with this one!

Mick Jagger as himself

Donal Logue as the Janitor

Maz Jobrani as the Indian Cab Driver

maz is great, i agree, all the best to him, here is a funny clip of one of his comedy acts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypspMXPZqzM

Thx for your colaboration .

dorood bar in ensane irani ke vaghean mayeye eftekhare... clip ham khandedar bod... thanx
    نه غزه نه لبنان جانم فدای ایران

«در زندگی زخم*هايی هست که مثل خوره روح را آهسته در انزوا می*خورد و می*تراشد.»
    صادق هدايت؛ بوف کور

نه غزه نه لبنان جانم فدای ایران

«در زندگی زخم*هايی هست که مثل خوره روح را آهسته در انزوا می*خورد و می*تراشد.»
    صادق هدايت؛ بوف کور

MAZ JOBRANI'S NEW SHOW IS ALMOST HERE

Maz Jobrani's new comedy on ABC is almost ready to go, just in time for the new TV season. Entitled 'The Knights of Prosperity', the show is about a janitor, Eugene Gurkin, played by Donal Logue, who has always dreamt of opening a bar. Unfortunately Eugene does not have that kind of money, so in his ultimate wisdom, and with a little inspiration from MTV’s Cribs, he decides to steal the money.

Eugene recruits a group of misfits to help him rob Mick Jagger's apartment, including Maz, in the role of Gourishanker 'Gary' Subramaniam. Looking at the very talented line-up, including Sofia Vergara and Mick Jagger himself, anything is possible.

The show was initially set to start earlier and was called 'Let's Rob Mick Jagger'. ABC has since given it a new name, and a new start date. With other hit shows like 'LOST', 'Grey's Anatomy', and 'Desperate Housewives', 'The Knights of Prosperity' is at home with a successful line-up and will hopefully get picked up after the pilot airs in January.

Last July 23rd, a friend asked us to join him at a party in a trendy West Hollywood restaurant. Since we had already committed to another event, I apologized. But then he said that it was a Good-Bye Party for Maz Jobrani. Good-Bye Party? Oh No! Where is he going? In our own small universe, we had just “discovered” the man and even exchanged pleasantries about our common hairstylist at a couple of events. Now he’s leaving?

In the superficial corners of Los Angeles night-life, we couldn’t drop names like Zellweger, Witherspoon or even Aghdashloo, but we were getting comfortable with the odd person recognizing our “Maz” as “Mo”, the cop in The Interpreter or “Moly” in Ice Cube’s Friday After Next or “Glen” in 13 Going on 30. We even liked it when our eyeranian friends pretended they knew him too and then professed how much they enjoyed him in the Mummy or opposite Whoopi Goldberg, obviously mistaking Jobrani for Omid Jalili.

To our relief, it turned out that he was only temporarily moving to New York to shoot a new sitcom. But that’s when the relief ended as he explained the premise of the new show later at the party and all I could do was keep a straight face and mutter “great”. In reality, I felt the main storyline sounded rather unexciting: a group of regular guys plan to rob Mick Jagger! I later told my wife Mitra that it’ll probably last an entire three episodes before the real programming director at ABC returns from vacation.

But I was wrong!

Fast forward to last Wednesday and we are invited by Namak magazine to a semi-private party organized by Maz’ agent Ray Moheet to watch the premier of the new sitcom, now called The Knights of Prosperity with two of the show’s stars Kevin Michael Richardson and Maz Jobrani in attendance.

The pilot episode (now available for free online at ABC), promoted heavily and prominently featured on network’s Wednesday line-up starts with Eugene Gurkin (Donal Logue) being unhappy at his janitorial occupation and wanting something better than a co-worker who dies on the job after decades of laboring at his rather tedious position. Having no other experience, skills or savings, the bank manager laughs at his proposal of starting his dream bar and just when all hope seems lost, he sees Mick Jagger on a television entertainment show taking the cameras for a tour of his brand new multi-million dollar condo in Manhattan. As the easy solution out of his troubles, robbing Jagger’s new dig becomes his goal and obsession. He call it the Robin Hood thing; stealing from the rich to give to the poor.

Amongst the ragtag group of noncriminals he is able to recruit, Jobrani plays Gourishanker "Don’t call me Gary" Subramaniam, an Indian lawyer turned NYC cab driver and desperate for an opportunity to move up in his new home. “Gary”, as everyone ends up calling him despite his displeasure, is also a womanizer who has had four wives and doesn’t hold back when asked what his favorite thing about women is. He is also naïve or perhaps cunning enough to recruit an “intern” (Josh Grisetti) who would work for them without knowing the true nature of their mission or claiming a share of the possible loot.

The addition of voluptuous waitress Esperanza Villalobos (Sofía Vergara) to the crew provides the pre-requisite sex appeal for the allotted network time-slot. Two great character actors, Kevin Michael Richardson and Lenny Venito round out the cast as Rockefeller Butts and Francis 'Squatch' Squacieri respectively.

But the best part of “The Knights” and undoubtedly what has convinced the network to already commit to a rare and long by TV standards of a 13-episode run is the writing. Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman are the veteran team that makes The Knights of Prosperity an intelligent, funny and highly entertaining show to watch.

They are also the reason I now think I was wrong in my hasty first impression and see that any show with somewhat of a mediocre “hook” can become a huge success with exceptional writing. If you doubt that, just look at the phenomena Jerry Seinfeld and Peter Mehlman created with an entire sitcom that is essentially about “nothing”.

With that, I saw Maz again this Sunday as we both participated on a panel of Middle-Eastern comedians (and one ex-comedian in my case) at an event by Levantine Cultural Center, the folks behind the very popular Sultans of Satire events. I took the opportunity to ask the man himself a few questions:

So Maz, what's your take on the Knights?

I think that it's one of the funniest projects I've ever worked on. It's got a quirky sensibility that I like. It's written by Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman who did the show "Ed" a few years back. They were also executive producer and head writer, respectively for Late Night with David Letterman. Anyway, it's one of the first times that I'll read a script and laugh out loud as I do. It's also a great underdog story as you root for these 6 nobodies to get to their goal of robbing a celebrity, Mick Jagger.

If the pilot is an indication, it looks like your character ended up with all the great punch lines, what gives?

I think it's just a case in this episode. What's great about the writers is that they've tried to give us all our shining moment. Our lead, Donal Logue, kind of plays more straight than he normally does in other projects. However, they even gave him some great lines and some fun things to do. What's funny is that as I've worked on the different episodes, I think that the "straight man" character changes from episode to episode. The viewers will see this as they tune in.

What do Gourishankar and Maz have in common?

Well Gourishankar is Indian, I'm married to an Indian woman. He used to be a lawyer back in India, my parents wanted me to be a lawyer in the U.S. I think that the Indian and Iranian culture have a lot in common (as do a lot of the cultures of the Middle East and Mediterranean region.) So when you get to play a character like this there are some insights you can offer from your Iranian background that would be similar to an Indian background. For example, in a later episode when Gourishankar goes to a dentist that he knows, he has a very formal relationship with him - as if the dentist is a part of the Indian community and Gourishankar wants to present himself as good as possible in front of him. The same way Iranians will be formal in such environments. Does that make sense?

I think so. But do you think it should concern people that with all the obvious acting talent available there, an Iranian should play an Indian character?

No, I don't think so. As an actor I always loved Peter Sellers and he got a chance to play all kinds of characters - one being an Indian, Hrundi V. Bakshi, in The Party. I would love to emulate his career where he got to play all these different ethnicities and then also play a very straight part in "Being There." I actually had a chance to play the character as Iranian, but chose to do it as an Indian. I have been writing a script for a character named Jimmy Vestvood (www.jimmyvestvood.com) with my co-writer Amir Ohebsion and I'm kind of saving my Iranian comedic character for that.

So what is the Knights of Prosperity crew really like?

The crew is great to work with. The chemistry was really good on the set and everyone's really talented. From Donal Logue who is a leading actor with character actor skills, to Kevin Michael Richardson who does the most amazing voices, to Lenny Venito who is a trained actor with great classical skills to Sofia Vergara who's beautiful but can also play funny, to Josh Grisseti who is the young guy just out of conservatory in Boston and reminds me of a young Martin Short meets Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) - again, the viewers will see this side of him later in the show.

Speaking of beautiful Sofia Vergara, my wife is away on business this whole week, can I have her phone number?

Yeah, make me an offer, but it better have a lot of zeros behind it.

You recently made a bit of a stir by your comments about roles offered to olive-skinned people who look like you and me. Could you elaborate on that?

I really can't speak for everyone, but I have made it known to my agents that I don't want to take any terrorist roles. I've done those in the past and felt bad afterwards. I just think that there's so much of that depiction of Middle Easterners on TV and in the news that I don't need to add to it. Now, some people might say, "well, you're playing a cab driver on TV. That's not a positive image of Middle Easterners or Indians, etc." My response to that is that I know Middle Eastern and Indian cab drivers who are in Gourishankar's situation. He was a lawyer back home and here he drives a cab. That's a common story. Also, it's a fun character that is defined by other things too. He considers himself a womanizer; he thinks he's got great ideas, etc. I'm cool with playing these kinds of fun parts, but I won't do the terrorist stuff. That said, I wouldn’t judge anyone who does. People have different reasons for playing a part and I can't know what they are.

Now I know you personally and also know that Maz is short for Maziar. But for those who don’t, how “Iranian” are you really?

That's a funny question. How do you quantify ones Iranianness? Do I have chelokabab at every family function? You bet I do. Do I smell like ghormeh sabzi if I don't use deodorant for one day? You bet I do. Do I say damet garm to every Iranian I speak with? You bet I do. Do I go to Persian concerts? Not often. Do I only hang with Iranians? No. Do I love nooneh barbari? You better believe it. Do I go to Vegas on Christmas? No. Do I drive a black BMW? No. Do I only dress in black clothes when I go out? No. Am I married to an Iranian woman? No. Will I make my kids (when I have them) speak Farsi? You better believe it. Do I root for Iran in the world cup? I try, but they get out too fast, so I go to my backups Brazil or Italy.

My backup has always been Germany, except for a period that I was involved with a Portuguese woman and had to pretend I preferred Brazil. Luckily for me, they won the World Cup during that period, but enough about my failed relationships. Now here’s the inevitable question; what advise do you have for others, particularly Iranians trying to get into comedy or show business in general?

My advice is to get into classes for acting and/or comedy. From there I think people need to stay active. Either be in a class or in a play at all times. Write as much as you can. For comedy you need to write and perform at least 7-10 times a week. The more stage time you have the better you'll become. Also, some people get on stage and realize it's not what they thought it would be. It's just about going for it. You can pick up trade publications like "The Backstage West" at any newsstand and find an acting class to get into. If you're in high school or college, take classes there. You'll find your own way from that point on.

Wink

He is soooo funny.... ...I love him

These are the questions on the minds of stand-up comedians around the world and a group of them are willing to bet that the answer is YES!

A new and cutting-edge show on Comedy Central entitled 'The Watch List' is out for your viewing pleasure and it's online so anyone can watch it.

Here is a bit more about the show:

Can an Arab Be Funny? Can a Muslim Tell a Joke? Can an Iranian Make You Laugh?

Find out on Comedy Central.com's The Watch List, the first show ever released by a major American entertainment company starring all Middle Eastern-American comedians. This hilarious and groundbreaking new comedy show that will be available JANUARY 15, 2007 on Comedy Central's Internet channel Motherload.

The Watch List is a truly groundbreaking and edgy comedy show featuring the country's top Middle Eastern-American comedians (Arab-American and Iranian-American) performing stand up and sketch comedy. The show tackles topics from a point of view rarely seen in American media from “flying while Muslim,” to Arab-Americans trying to prove that they are real Americans, to dealing with negative stereotypes about Middle Eastern-Americans. Its' not only funny, it will also challenge misconceptions.

The show was co-created and produced by award winning Arab-American comedian Dean Obeidallah and Emmy award winning comedy writer Max Brooks, and son of comedy legend Mel Brooks.

Comedians featured on “The Watch List” include Maz Jobrani, co-star of the new ABC series “Knights of Prosperity,” Ahmed Ahmed who has been featured on MTV's “Punk'd” and NBC's “Last Call with Carson Daly,” Maysoon Zayid (MTV, ABC “20/20”), Joe Derosa (Comedy Central and NBC's “Last Call”) and Nasry Malak (ABC's “20/20).

The first 3 episodes of “The Watch List” will be available January 15 and a new episode will be released the following three weeks at Comedy Central.

Bios of Show Creators:

Max Brooks: is an Emmy award wining comedy writer for his work on “Saturday Night Live” and is also the author of the best selling books “World War Z” and the “Zombie Survival Guide.” Max has show business in his blood as he is the son of Hollywood legends Mel Brooks and the late Anne Bancroft.

Dean Obeidallah: a former lawyer turned stand up comedian, Dean has appeared on various television shows including Comedy Central's “Tough Crowd,” CNN International's “Inside the Middle East,” NBC's “Saturday Night Live,” and PBS' “Newshour with Jim Lehrer.” He is the co-founder/co-producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival. Dean has performed stand up comedy across the US as well as in Beirut, Haifa, Ramallah and Dubai in the Middle East.

Summaries for the first 3 sketches which will be released:

Episode #1: “Arabs are the New Blacks.” Many have said that in the post 9/11 America, Arabs are the new blacks. While some might complain at their new status, Arab-American comedian Dean Obeidallah is excited at being the “new blacks” because to him, it means that Arabs are finally cool. Watch as white kids in the suburbs trying to be cool, stop acting black, and start acting Arab.

Episode #2: “Turning Dad In.” Egyptian-American comedian Nasry Malak and his family are planning to turn their Arab father into the FBI. Not because he is terrorist, but just because they want to prove that they are patriotic Americans.

Episode #3: “Good news about Middle Easterners.” Iranian born comedian Maz Jobrani dreams of a day when the media will not just feature news stories about Middle Eastern terrorist but will start showing Middle Easterners doing positive things. Maz will even settle for a news story about an Iranian man baking a cookie.

Samples of the Stand up clips:

Ahmed Ahmed: What is like to be a Muslim, Arab-American named Ahmed Ahmed trying to board a flight in America today? Comedian Ahmed Ahmed will give you a glimpse into his world of “Flying while Muslim.”

Maysoon Zayid: Follow the struggles of a Palestinian Muslim from New Jersey who is trying to remain a virgin until she gets married while living in New York City.

Featured comedians:

Maz Jobrani: co-star ABC's new series “Knights of Prosperity,” Comedy Central's Premium Blend, and featured in the movies “The Interpreter” and “Friday After Next.”

Ahmed Ahmed: MTV's “Punk'd,” Comedy Central's “Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn,” NBC's “Last Call with Carson Daly.”

Aron Kader: Comedy Central's “Premium Blend,” Showtime's “White Boys in the Hood,” FX's “The Shield.”

Joe DeRosa: NBC's “Last Call with Carson Daly,” Comedy Central's “Premium Blend.”

Maysoon Zayid: NBC's Nightly News, ABC's “20/20,” MTV.

Dean Obeidallah - Bio above.

Nasry Malak: ABC's “20/20,” NPR radio.

The Watch List was co-produced by Negin Farsad and Vaguely Qualified Productions.

It's the New Year, and every year I do the same thing, I make a New Year's resolution that this year, I am going to try to be more honest, and hopefully put up with less BS. And to test my fortitude and resolve of this resolution, usually about a week into it, I am faced with a dilemma.

Do I put up, or shut up?

And so it goes this year.

The test? Another network TV show in which once again, an Iranian actor is a primary part of the cast. The actor in this case is none other than Maz Jobrani. The only way you don't know who Maz Jobrani is if you are in a coma, or in solitary confinement in Evin for protesting the inhumane use of solitary confinement. Maz Jobrani is the champion of bringing "It" to the American consciousness. Through his brilliant and dedicated efforts behind the "Axis of Evil Comedy" tours, and the latest incarnation "The Sultans of Satire", he has been the brightly shining and hilarious beacon for, to use marketing terminology, "educating and informing the target audience of the benefits, features, and value of our brand." That's the "It" he brings.

As I am a fan of Maz, you can start to see the dilemma forming.

Wednesdays, around 9pm, on ABC, the new show, "The Knights of Prosperity" has cast yet another shadow through what I am calling the retarded mis-placement of the stereotypical "quirky Indian fellow", using of all people Maz! So allow me to let you get this straight. Maz who does an Iranian accent about as perfectly as he does any other accent you want him to do for you, is playing the quirky Indian cab driver! Not the quirky Iranian cab driver, but the quirky Indian cab driver! at one point in the show he even gets called, get this, "Dr. Bombay".

Now, as I am sure you do, I too have many Indian friends. In order, they are teachers, doctors, engineers (a lot of them are engineers), and Oh all right! Yes! Computer programmers! You want a stereotype fine take that one! And I am sure there are many Iranian and Indian cab drivers. So you can keep the character, if you really want to fight with me about this script.

But to have an Iranian, so full of talent and natural comedic timing, play the role of an Indian cab driver? It's almost like someone wanted to insult both countries with one insult. Isn't there any way this could have been avoided? I mean you can at least get an Indian actor to play the role of the Indian cab driver. Not to mention, what will I tell my Indian friends as they complain about how there are so many Indian actors to choose from.

I am trying to play the casting meeting, in my head, to see how they could have come up with this seemingly idiotic plan.

"Hey, I have an idea, why don't we have Maz play the role of the Indian Cab driver?"
    "Uh, dude, Maz is Iranian."
    "Oh, I thought he was Indian."
    "No Dude, he's Iranian."
    "Oh..... Huh! Yeah but he has an Indian accent."
    "No Dude, he doesn't have an accent."
    "Oh..... Well, can he do an Indian accent?"
    "I don't know, he's right here, let me ask him... Hey Maz! Can you do an Indian accent?"
    "Vod?"

Or maybe it was Maz's agent.

"Maz? Hi, Lou here. Lou, Lou Bernstein, your agent!"
    "Look Maz, I got you a read for a new show on ABC, it's perfect for you Baby!"
    "No it's not a terrorist this time. I'm telling you it's got Emmy written all over it!"
    "OK then I'll set up the meeting.... by the way, can you do an Indian accent?"

So you can see why I'm densely confused. And usually when I'm dense and confused, I find that there is bound to be an insulting reason for it, and when I get insulted, I tend to get angry. I'm funny like that.

So I am getting angry at this role Maz is playing. I don't want to hear how "... a gig's a gig!" (Sorry Omid!). What I want to hear is an Iranian being a funny smart Iranian on a network comedy. Is that too much to ask? Can I get that just once?

For once can I get the true character, nature, and real sense of Iranian humor depicted honestly? Because as funny goes, I think it will actually be a much bigger punch line, and get far more laughs, than asking our most talented people to suck it up and just play with the pain, of playing everyone except themselves. OK, so it shows good versatility in an actor. I get that. But it still sucks.

So, I will like most of you, watch Maz, albeit begrudgingly, be "the quirky Indian cab driver" on "The Knights of Prosperity" on ABC, on Wednesday nights, at 9pm. But only out of loyalty to Maz, and I'll probably be drinking heavily, because I won't like it as much as watching Maz be Maz.

Here's to "The Knights of Prosperity", may it turn into the "Nights of Prosperity" for Maz, and lead to better roles.

It's the New Year, and every year I do the same thing, I make a New Year's resolution that this year, I am going to try to be more honest, and hopefully in doing so, will have to put up with less BS. To test my fortitude and resolve of this resolution, usually about a week into it, I am faced with a dilemma.

Do I put up, or shut up?

And so it goes this year.

The test? Another network TV show in which once again, an Iranian actor is a primary part of the cast. The actor in this case is none other than Maz Jobrani. The only way you don't know who Maz Jobrani is if you are in a coma, or in solitary confinement in Evin for protesting the inhumane use of solitary confinement. Maz Jobrani is the champion of bringing 'It' to the American consciousness. Through his brilliant and dedicated efforts behind the 'Axis of Evil' comedy tours, and the latest incarnation 'The Sultans of Satire', he has been the brightly shining and hilarious beacon for, to use marketing terminology, 'educating and informing the target audience of the benefits, features, and value of our brand.' That's the 'It' he brings.

As I am a huge fan of Maz, you can start to see the dilemma forming.

Wednesdays, around 9pm, on ABC, the new show, 'The Knights of Prosperity' has cast yet another shadow, through what I am just going to call, the retarded mis-placement of the stereotypical 'quirky Indian fellow', using of all people Maz! So allow me to let you take a moment, and get this straight. Maz who does an Iranian accent about as perfectly as he does any other accent you want him to do for you, is playing a quirky Indian cab driver! Not a quirky Iranian cab driver, but the quirky Indian cab driver! At one point in the show he even gets called, get this, 'Dr. Bombay'.

Now, as I am sure you do, I too have many good Indian friends. In order, they are teachers, doctors, engineers (a lot of them are engineers), lawyers, and Oh all right! Yes! computer programmers! You want your stereotype? Fine! At least take that one! And I am sure there are many Iranian and Indian cab drivers too. So if you insist, you can keep the character, if you really want to argue with me about the realism of the characters in this script.

But to have an Iranian, especially one like Maz, so full of talent, experience and something important to a comedy, natural comedic timing, play the role of an Indian cab driver? It's almost like someone wanted to insult both countries with one slur. Isn't there any way this could have been avoided? I mean you can at least get an Indian actor to play the role of the Indian cab driver! Not to mention, what will I tell my Indian friends as they complain about how there are so many Indian actors to choose from, and why use that stereotype.

Actually I would think that it would have been a lot funnier if the character was an out of work Indian computer programmer, laid off because his job was recently off shored to India!

But I am trying to play the casting meeting, in my head, where Maz was called in to be considered for this role, to see how they could have possibly come up with this seemingly idiotic plan. It may have gone something like this:

'Hey, I have an idea, why don't we have Maz play the role of the Indian Cab driver?'

'Uh, Dude, Maz is Iranian.'

'Oh, I thought he was Indian.'

'No Dude, he's Iranian.'

'Oh..... Huh! Yeah but he has an Indian accent.'

'No Dude, he doesn't have an accent.'

'Oh..... Well, can he do an Indian accent?'

'I don't know Dude, he's right here, let me ask him... Hey Maz! Can you do an Indian accent?'

'Vod?'

Or maybe it was Maz's agent who called him on the phone:

'Maz? Hi, Lou here. Lou, Lou Bernstein, your agent!'

'Look Maz, I got you a read for a new show on ABC, it's perfect for you Baby!'

'No it's not a terrorist this time. I'm telling you it's got Emmy written all over it!'

'OK then I'll set up the meeting.... by the way, can you do an Indian accent?'

So you can see why I'm densely confused. And usually when I'm dense and confused, I find that there is bound to be an insulting reason for it, and when I get insulted, I tend to get angry. I'm funny like that.

To make things ever more degrading, the character Maz plays, is not just a cab driver, but a cab driver, who 'back home in India' used to be a 'Hot Shot Lawyer'. As if an Indian Lawyer would come to the US and not continue in Law. This may have been the case 30 years ago, but not today. Let me inform you that any Indian lawyer, knows exactly how to go about becoming an American Lawyer. Before he even leaves India. Gandhi died a long time ago. Things have changed. There's this thing called the internet, and they have it in India! Imagine that!

So I am getting angry at this role Maz is playing. I don't want to hear how '... a gig's a gig!' (Sorry Omid!), or how Maz is saving his good stuff (see www.jimmyvestvood.com) for the right moment (Sorry Maz!). What I want to see is an Iranian being a funny and savvy-smart Iranian on an American network comedy. I'll even let you continually portray them in low paying menial jobs (even though we don't really average that way). Is that too much to ask? Can I get that please?

For once, can I get the true character, nature, and real sense of Iranian humor depicted honestly? Because as funny goes, I think it will actually be a much bigger punch line, and get far more laughs, than asking our most talented people to suck it up and just play with the pain, and play everyone except themselves, simply because it will land them more roles. OK, so it shows good versatility in an actor and loyalty to the producers. I get that. But that's not the real reason why they are being cast in these roles, and it still sucks.

And let me remind everyone who is proud of Shohreh Aghdashlou's rise in Hollywood cachet since her academy award nomination in 'House of Sand and Fog', that her nomination was for her portrayal of an IRANIAN. In fact playing the terrorist Mom, or the lab researcher, or the late shift doctor, hasn't gotten any technical praise, even if it has been highly visible, and better, lucrative. So it appears that for the Iranian actors at least, being yourself, is arguably better than being someone else, even in acting. And I'll throw you Shaun Taub and Bahar Soomekh in Crash as further proof.

But, I will also, like most of you, watch Maz, albeit begrudgingly, do his job, and be that 'quirky Indian cab driver' on 'The Knights of Prosperity' on ABC, on Wednesday nights, at 9pm. But only out of loyalty to Maz. And I'll probably be drinking heavily, because I won't like it as much as I do watching Maz be Maz.

Here's to 'The Knights of Prosperity', may it turn into the 'Nights of Prosperity' for Maz, and lead to better roles.

Iranian American actor/comedian Maziar Jobrani on the Colbert Report Thursday night on Comedy Central (October 5, 2006).

YouTube - Maz Jobrani Reel

'Sultans of Satire' plans to lighten things up a bit

YOU know, the funny thing about the Middle East is …

As comic premises go, following through on that line would seem to be about as tough an assignment as there is these days. Yet nearly a dozen comedians of Arab, Iranian, Turkish and Moroccan-Israeli heritage will take on the challenge Saturday night at USC's Bovard Auditorium, joining forces for "The Sultans of Satire," a showcase benefiting the Levantine Cultural Center, which explores Middle East and Mediterranean issues.

The lineup includes Maz Jobrani (from ABC's "The Knights of Prosperity"), Ahmed Ahmed, Max Amini, Mike Batayeh, Gulden, Elham Jazab, Aron Kader, Peter Shahriari and Noel Elgrably, with film writer-producer Fariborz serving as emcee. In addition, a "mystery comedian" described as "probably the hottest stand-up around" by Levantine artistic director Jordan Elgrably, will anchor the bill. Here's a hint for comedy-circuit buffs: He's from Canada.

The Lebanese folk-dance troupe Ya M.E.L.A. will open the show.

Elgrably, whose stand-up comic younger brother, Noel, is also on the bill, said the event fits in well with the mission of the center, which opened in the summer of 2000 in an effort to promote dialogue among the cultures of the Middle East through the literary, performing and visual arts.

"The comedians are all very smart, savvy people who comment on Iran and Iraq, the Israelis and the Palestinians, the Turks and Armenians and on the Bush administration, but from a satirical viewpoint," he said. "Our aim is to reach Americans who hear a lot about the Middle East, but primarily from the perspective of conflict, terrorism and strife. But these are also cultures that are very rich and diverse, like in the United States, and the situational humor that comes out of this is very universal. They're laughing at themselves.

"One of the people in the show, Ahmed Ahmed, was born in Cairo, raised in Riverside, and his parents are devout Muslims," said Elgrably. "But he's very much a Hollywood kid, coming out here to be a comedian, using observations about what it was like to grow up with his sisters and in his family. He talks about how 'Arabs laugh, but Muslims will just say, "That's very funny." ' "

Gulden also mines her Turkish family for material, but from a female perspective.

"I talk about my parents and how they were doctors back in Turkey," she said. "But I joke that in Turkey it's not hard to be a doctor. I say that if you have a flute and a cobra, you're in. I also kind of make fun of Arabs and others, of course, but I'm very lighthearted. I don't want to hurt or humiliate people. My job as a comic is to make people feel good about themselves."

Gulden said the pan-cultural stance of the Levantine Center is what drew her involvement.

"They don't differentiate among the people there," she said. "They don't categorize them like, 'You're Jewish, you're Christian, you're Muslim.' They know everyone's proud to be American too, and they just say, 'Let's bring the humor, let's break the ice between the Middle East and America, let's get rid of the preconceived ideas by making fun of those ideas.' "

Fellow performer Jobrani embraces that approach. The Iranian-born comedian ("I moved to the Bay Area when I was 6, but my whole family is from Iran — except my wife, who's Indian. Hey, I'm trying to mix it up, man.") created the "Axis of Evil" comedy tour in 2005 with Ahmed Ahmed and Aron Kader "to put a human face on all the negative stereotypes you see on TV."

The Levantine community "has been very supportive, and I think that has helped bring our culture into the mainstream," he said.

"Most of the Middle Easterners I know are good people, but most of the portrayals you see are not, and things like this show and the 'Axis of Evil' tour will hopefully help change that. The comedy is in English, and although all the comedians you see are of Middle Eastern descent, they are all Americans too," he said.

Elgrably said the Levantine Cultural Center, which with its network of sponsors has put on more than 250 concerts, lectures, film screenings and author events around the city in the last five years, has held a number of "Sultans of Satire" shows in the past, but none on this scale.

"We're expecting a good crowd," he said. "We lost our building's lease back in March, and we've had a sort of nomadic existence since then, so we're hoping that this show will bring more attention to our work. It will be a warm and welcoming environment regardless of your cultural or ethnic background. Laughter is an incredible tool for breaking down barriers."

مازيار جبرانی از مشهورترين کمدينهای ايرانی است که به زبان انگليسی برنامه اجرا می کنند و چهره ای شناخته شده کمدی آمريکاست که در سريالهای تلويزيونی پرطرفداری همچون نظم و قانون (Law&Order)، جناح غربی (The West Wing)، بدون ردپا (Without a Trace)، پليس کبود نيويورک (NYPD Blue)، اورژانس (ER) و مالکوم وسطی (Malcolm in the Middle) و چند فيلم سينمايی ايفای نقش کرده که مشهورترين آنها مترجم (The Interpreter) با بازی نيکول کيدمن و شون پن است.

مازيار جبرانی ۳۴ سال دارد و از شش هفت سالگی در آمريکا زندگی می کند،
    من از دوازده سالگی بيشتر با دوستانم ورزش می کردم، يک روز من رو به يک تئاتر بردن و از همون جا ديدم که به بازيگری خيلی علاقه دارم، از اون به بعد هميشه توی مدرسه تئاتر بازی می کردم، زمانی که می خواستم وارد دانشگاه بشم، مادر و پدرم گفتن که از تئاتر خبری نيست و بايد وکيل بشی! به هر حال سر من رو کلاه گذاشتن و من چهار سال علوم سياسی خوندم که وکيل بشم.

در حين تحصيل در دانشگاه سعی کردم دکترای علوم سياسی بگيرم تا بتونم پروفسور بشم، برای همين در لس آنجلس و در دانشگاه يو سی ال ای [دانشگاه کاليفرنيا در لس آنجلس] ادامه تحصيل دادم، در همون دانشگاه برنامه های تئاتر رو ديدم و همزمان با تحصيل شروع به بازی کردم، ديدم که اين کار رو خيلی دوست دارم، من کلاً از بچگی هميشه دوست داشتم فوتباليست حرفه ای يا هنرپيشه بشم.

در همون زمان در يک شرکت تبليغاتی هم کار می کردم و به خودم قول داده بودم که تا سی سالگی کار کنم و پول جمع کنم و بعد برم دنبال کار هنرپيشه ای.

شبها اکثراً تئاتر بازی می کردم و يک بازی خودم رو ضبط کردم و بردم شرکت که اون رو صداگذاری کنم، يک نفر اونجا اتفاقی فيلم من رو ديد و گفت که کاراکتر (شخصيت) کمدين دارم و آيا تا به حال فکر کردم که اين کار رو به صورت حرفه ای ادامه بدم؟

من هم جواب دادم که قراره تا سی سالگی صبر کنم و بعد برم دنبال اين کار، ايشون گفت من شصت سالمه و توی بيست سالگی يک سری کارها می خواستم انجام بدم که هيچ وقت نتوستم بکنم، پس اگر هدفی داری از همين امروز شروع کن، از اونجا بود که به کلاسهای هنرپيشگی برگشتم.

عکس العمل خانواده ات در برابر اين تصميم چی بود؟

ما ايرانی ها با خانواده خودمون خيلی نزديکيم و دوست نداريم کاری انجام بديم که بر خلاف نظر اونها باشه اما من ياد گرفتم که اگر کسی علاقمند به کاری باشه و با پشتکار اون رو دنبال کنه، بعد از مدتی مادر و پدر هم تشويقش می کنن.

همين اتفاق برای من قبل از دانشگاه رفتنم افتاد، زمانی که می خواستم برم ايتاليا و درس بخونم همه فاميل می گفتند که بهتره جای دور نری اما من گفتم نه، من بايد اين کار رو انجام بدم، مادرم ابتدا ناراحت شد اما بعد از مدتی من رو تشويق هم می کرد.

در لس آنجلس جامعه ايرانی هم برای تماشای کارهای تو ميان؟

بله تا حدی ميان چون در کلوپهايی که من بازی می کنم اکثراً آمريکاييها هستند ولی ايرانی هم هميشه توی سالن پيدا ميشه، بهترين تماشاچی برای من جوانهای ايرانی بين پانزده تا پنجاه ساله ان که هم با غرب آشنان و هم با فرهنگ ايرانی.

توی برنامه های کمدی که اجرا می کنی، روی ايرانی بودن خودت هم تأکيد داری؟

بله، هشت سال پيش که اين کار رو شروع کردم يکی از سؤالها اين بود که چه نوع کمدی اجرا کنم، در نهايت به اين نتيجه رسيدم که چيزی باشه که من رو بی همتا می کنه، خوب من هم درباره ايرانی بودنم شروع به صحبت کردم، در لس آنجلس من رو خوب می شناسند، جاهای ديگه هم سعی می کنم اجتماع ايرانيها رو به افراد ديگه معرفی کنم.

شما اگر با مردم عادی صحبت کنيد همه فکر می کنند مردمان خاورميانه همه از يک کشورن و همه ما رو مثلاً به چشم تروريست می بينند، من اين تصورات رو مسخره می کنم و سعی می کنم با لحن شوخی درباره ايرانيها صحبت کنم.

هر کسی برای کارهاش هدفی داره، هدف نهايی تو چيه؟

يک نفراز من پرسيد خودت رو کی در اين کار موفق می بينی؟ گفتم از روزی که تصميم به اين کار گرفتم خودم رو موفق می ديدم.

من شانس آوردم کار مورد علاقه خودم رو پيدا کردم و توسط اون برای خودم زندگی درست کردم.

هر وقتی که من روی صحنه ميرم خوشحال هستم و هيچ وقتی نشده که از اين کار ناراحت باشم. يکی از هدف های من اينه که تهيه کننده باشم و اگر کسی فيلمی درست کرده که ما ايرانی ها رو مثبت نشون ميده، به اون کمک کنم.

Well, it's come to this. After 4 weeks on the air it's not looking so good. Our ratings have been low and we've been getting clobbered by American Idol. So, the network has given us a shot to redeem ourselves. They have moved us to a new timeslot on Wednesday nights at 8:30pm (7:30central). We basically will have 3 weeks without Idol running against us (there is a God!) If we can build our numbers over these next weeks then we have a chance at coming back in the Fall for a second season. If not, then it's hasta la vista to the Knights. (I would've said 'it's goodnight to the Knights' but every punny journalist in the country is already waiting to use that one.)

So, I'm e-mailing you all to start the official 'Save the Knights Campaign.' What does that entail you ask? Will we be marching the streets or selling wristbands? No, I tell you, it's much easier than that. All you gotta do is to send out e-mails to all your friends to Tivo, watch, record, talk about, and spread the word about Knights. If you know anyone who has a Nielson box give me their paypal account and I'll convince them to watch myself. The point is to build a bit of steam. I'm thinking of going to the airport tomorrow to pick up foreigners who have no rides and bring them back to my house for free viewings. (I'll probably have to lie to them and tell them we're watching an episode of 'American Idol,' but whatever works man. This is war!)

If you feel inclined you can even go to abc.com and write them a quick note about how much you enjoy the show (Knights not Idol.) Here is the link contact ABC.

For anyone who's missed any shows you can go to abc.com and watch them online. There will also be a re-run of one of the episodes tonight (Tuesday) at 9:30pm (8:30 central) on ABC. If you don't have the time to catch up on the old shows, then here's the basic summary you'll need to be a Knights soldier:

Week 1 - We got Mick Jagger's key only to realize that his apartment also has a thumbprint sensor, a keypad and armed security guards.

Week 2 - We seduced Jagger's assistant and got the keypad code.

Week 3 - We were able to get her thumbprint and we took fighting courses to fight the guards.

Week 4 - Rockefeller Butts, our big black team member got a job with the security company that protects Jagger's apartment.

We've got some great guest spots coming up soon including Ray Romano, Keli Ripa and Screech from 'Saved by the Bell' - yes that Screech! I'm telling you things are heating up man! These next few episodes begin to really kick into high gear. Please spread the word if you can and drop ABC an e-mail or two.

It's not over yet - as John Belushi once said - 'Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?'

NOTES FROM THE ROAD

5 words - Bring it on Lion King!

This was the marquee from our Cleveland show. Right now I'm typing this e-mail from Chicago, but I started my day in Philadelphia and was on Al Jazeera yesterday in DC - I took a red eye from LA to get there. Friday I'll be back in Philly. I'm totally confused! One day this will all make sense, but for now my head is numb.

The second leg of our tour begins in Chicago on May 31st and ends on June 22nd in Las Vegas. I'm inviting anyone who's looking to get away to book a trip out there and celebrate this small victory with us at the Hard Rock Casino. I know I'll be putting my feet up and drinking a big Strawberry Daquiri at the pool in my Speedos. It'll be Vegas in the Summer so bring your chiseled bodies and plenty of sunblock. It's going to be off the hizzle.

Here's a list of our upcoming shows in the next few weeks:

May 31st - Chicago

June 2nd - Philly

June 5th - Taping Comics Unleashed in Los Angeles

June 7th - Dallas

June 15th - Sacramento

June 16th - Bay Area (Cupertino)

June 21st - Seatlle

June 22nd - Vegas

For more go to our website www.axisofevilcomedy.com.

Hope to see you out on the road and thanks for your continued support.

kheili bahale....

nemidonam chandta az shoma ba adamhaye soedi ashanai darin vali ina kheili sardan va bi humor vali yeki az dosthaye man ke soedi bashe in axis of evil comedy ra roozi 2-3 bar mizare faghat be maz mikhande...mige az hame comedianhai ke inja hastan behtare....az soedi yek hamichin harfi kheilie...=)

vaghean damesh garm...karesh doroste....
    >> Doroste ke inja bozorg shodam man vali khone IRANI to raghame <<

Az in ghafas, az in zamin mikham beram paar bekesham,
    baraye in hame diavar yek goshei daar bekesham

For those who may not know, tell us a little about your background.

Maziar Jobrani: I was born in Iran and I grew up in the America. I am a comedian and actor. I have been doing standup and acting professionally for about 10 years.

SR: How was your experience growing up here?

MJ: I grew up in Marine County. Most of my friends were American and my ethnicity was never a huge issue. I really wanted to blend in. Your parents would have the thick accent and your food would smell so it was always a little embarrassing. It wasn’t until college that I started to really appreciate my culture. There were a few times during the hostage crisis and all that it bothered me but overall it was a very positive experience.

SR: Tell us about ABC’s Knights of Prosperity.

MJ: That was a lot of fun. It was an ABC show, just one seaons unforutnalye it got cancelled. The premise was that we were a group of guys who were down and out and wanted to subsidize their dreams by robbing Mick Jagger. I got to play an Indian cab driver, which was great being a big fan of Peter Sellars who played an Indian character in “The Party”. It was all shot on location in New York City. It was a lot of fun.

SR: Tell us about the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour.

MJ: That is going really well. It involves three other comedians, two Palestinians, one Egyptian: Ahmed Ahmed, Aron Kader and Dean Obeidallah. We’ve been touring. Our special aired on Comedy Central, as the first all Middle Eastern Show on American television, kind of like the Blue Collar Comedy Tour but with Middle Easterners. When we started we had like 90% Middle Eastern audience and now its about 50-50, so it’s great.

SR: What message do you hope to give the audience with your work?

MJ: I hope that people open their eyes. There are lots of grays in the world. We want to show that Middle Easterners are good, normal people.

SR: Thanks for you time Maz.

MJ: Thanks for having me.

May the farce be with you
    Living in a post-Sept. 11 world can be tough when you have Middle Eastern roots, especially if you're part of a comedy tour dubbed the "Axis of Evil."

Try to explain that to airport security.

But Aron Kader, Maz Jobrani and Ahmed Ahmed -the men behind this Middle Eastern-American comic outfit - can laugh with reckless abandon at the trials they've faced. Though it's usually Ahmed that gets the worst of it when he's at the airport.

He shares his name with a terrorist who uses "Ahmed" as one of many aliases, Kader said. It can often lead to mistaken identity.

"Ahmed has this joke that there's some terrorist out there going, 'I'm not this funny comedian!," Kader said in his best Middle Eastern impression by phone from California.

The American-born comics, of the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour, will perform at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Joining the show will be New York comedian Dean Obeidallah.

The humorous bunch said their profession, as well as their lives, changed after the terrorist attack on the nation six years ago - mainly for the better.

Kader, Jobrani and Ahmed were working together in Los Angeles for about eight months in a show called "Arabian Nights" when the attacks occurred. The terrorist event made many Americans distant to those of Middle Eastern descent, so the trio decided to approach stand-up comedy with caution.

"It was kind of a shock," said Kader, of 9/11. "We didn't know what to do on stage. The older comics started talking about it. We just backed off."

When they started performing their routines again, full of Middle Eastern humor, they were surprised at the audience's response.

"It was a whole different reaction - it was like night and day," said Kader, who was raised in Washington, D.C., by his Palestinian father and Mormon mother. "They were curious, interested. They wanted to know where we were coming from, what we thought about it."

For 37-year-old Obeidallah, a former lawyer turned comic, the experience of Sept. 11 helped him embrace his father's heritage.

"I went to bed on Sept. 10 a white guy and woke up Sept. 11 an Arab," the New Jersey native said by phone from New York.

He loves every aspect of his Middle Eastern and Italian background, right down to his name.

"People think it's hard to have a Muslim last name," Obeidallah said. "But I'm immune from identity theft."

Speaking of names, the comic said he was pleased to get a hurricane named after him this year - Hurricane Dean.

"I found myself rooting for the hurricane," he said. "Not that I wanted it to cause destruction, but to compete with my friends if they had a hurricane named after them."

You'll never hear a Middle Eastern name being used to identify a hurricane, especially if the storm was bound to cause havoc and destruction on American shores, Obeidallah said.

"Those kind of things are not going to help (Middle Eastern-Americans)," he joked.

After Sept. 11, Obeidallah found himself defending his heritage through stand-up comedy to those who stereotyped it.

"I just got tired of people talking," said the comedian, who worked with "Axis of Evil" during their "Arabian Nights" days. "It's just wrong. As an American you have a sense of what justice and fairness is. (Sept. 11) really changed my life."

The comics, whose idols include Richard Pryor and Jon Stewart, also share their thoughts on relationships, sports, immigration, social commentary and politics during their performance.

President George W. Bush's antics have been great fodder, they said.

As of last week, the comedy troupe was waiting to hear if the sketch comedy pilot,"The Watch List," was picked up by a television network. The show, which was co-created by Obeidallah and Max Brooks, would be the first of its kind to feature a Middle Eastern-American cast.

"It's something the American public is wanting to see," Kadar believes. "They're ready to laugh with us."

Of course, the Middle East has a long way to go in that respect, but it's slowly getting there, Kadar said.

"They do like comedy but it's not a very show-businessy type of place," he said of the region. "I think that they need to laugh."

What: Axis of Evil Comedy Tour, featuring Aron Kader, Ahmed Ahmed, Maz Jobrani, Dean Obeidallah and others

When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

Where: Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, 1010 North W.C. MacInnes Place, Tampa

Tickets: $28.25-$38.25

Information: (813) 229-7827 What: Axis of Evil Comedy Tour featuring Aron Kader, Ahmed Ahmed, Maz Jobrani, Dean Obeidallah and others.

When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

Where: Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, 1010 North W.C. MacInnes Place, Tampa

Tickets: $28.25-$38.25

Information: (813) 229-7827

MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU

What: "Laughter on the 23rd Floor," Golden Apple Dinner Theatre, through Nov. 18

Why: This quirky show, about a group of comedy writers behind the scenes of a 1950s variety show, sounds too hilarious to pass up. It's a comic farce based on Neil Simon's early career as a TV writer.

January, features writer, loves a quirky cast.

January Holmes

"Gem of the Ocean"

This play by August Wilson is the first of a 10-play cycle that chronicles the African-American experience through each decade of the 1900s. Plays through Oct. 7 at American Stage Theatre Company, St. Petersburg; $22-$35

"Menopause the Musical"

A hilarious look at "the change" through the eyes of four women at Bloomingdale's, with lyrics set to the tunes of 1960s and '70s rock songs. Plays through Sept. 30 at Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, Tampa. Tickets: $39.50

The Herald recommends these stage productions:

LOOKING AHEAD

Here are two shows to look for this season:

"Noises Off"

This comedy takes a back stage look at the antics of an old English touring company. Opens Oct. 4 at Manatee Players, Bradenton. Tickets: $11-$23. Information: 748-5875.

"Second Time Around"

Lovers over 20 years ago meet again by chance and relive memories both sad and funny. Opens Oct. 11 at Island Players, Anna Maria. Tickets: $15. Information: 778-3755.

barname hasho nadarid?

Obama No Muslim

Comedian Maz Jobrani

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6238608067/maz

Jimmy Vestvood
    Comic character by Maz Jobrani

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ESMkcZPmU8