Thread: About Leila Vaziri

Thumbs up About Leila Vaziri

Leila Vaziri of the United States set a world record of 28.16 seconds for the women's 50 metres backstroke in the world championships semi-finals on
    Wednesday.

The 21-year-old New Yorker burst off the blocks and emerged from the water with a slender lead before slicing 0.03 seconds off the previous record of 28.19 set by Janine Pietsch of Germany in Berlin in 2005.

"Going in to tonight I definitely had it in my mind to go that time," Vaziri, who is competing in her first major international competition, told reporters.

Vaziri had barely recovered her breath when U.S. team mate Michael Phelps shattered the men's 200m butterfly record and she said the team were feeding off each other's record-breaking exploits at Rod Laver Arena.

"The energy (in the team) is incredible, you just want to go world record so bad just to be up with everybody else. It's so much fun being out there.

"Records one after the other it's been awesome. This is my second U.S. national team so I'm a rookie and it's been the best experience ever. It's certainly not stressful, we're having a great time."

UNABLE to qualify for the championship final of the 100 backstroke, American Leila Vaziri went on a mission: Dominate the 50 back. The Indiana University standout did just that, setting a record in each of the rounds. After setting an American standard in the prelims, Vaziri set a world record of 28.16 in the semifinals. She repeated that world-record time in the championship final.

Scorching the field in the last 25 meters, Vaziri won the first world championship of her budding career, easily bettering the 28.46 mark of silver medalist Aliaksandra Herasimenia (Belarus). Vaziri has continually enhanced her profile over the last year and should be a major player in the backstroke for years to come, giving the U.S. a quality complement to Natalie Coughlin.

"I was a little disappointed," Vaziri said of not reaching the final of the 100 distance. "I took (that frustration) out on this event."

The bronze medal was won by Aussie Tay Zimmer in 28.50, which was quick enough to deny China's Zhao Jing a place on the podium. Zhao was timed in 28.54 and followed by Japan's Reiko Nakamura (28.64) and China's Gao Chang (28.70). The field was rounded out by Japan's Mai Nakamura in seventh (28.86) and Germany's Janine Pietsch in eighth (28.87). Pietsch was the world-record holder at the beginning of the meet.

Leila Vaziri called her coach before she went to sleep Wednesday night after breaking the world record in the 50-meter backstroke at the FINA World Aquatics Championships in Melbourne, Australia.

The 2002 Coral Springs graduate, who lives in Fort Lauderdale with her mother, broke her first world record in 28.16 seconds in the semifinals, lowering the previous mark of 28.19 set by Germany's Janine Pietsch in 2005.

In morning prelims, Vaziri set an American record at 28.25.

"This was the best race ever -- I'm speechless," said Vaziri, 21, a senior at Indiana University, who goes for the gold medal today. "This was the best experience ever. That was so much fun racing fast. I am just a rookie on this team. There are some pretty incredible swimmers here."

Her longtime time coach, Michael Lohberg of the Coral Springs Swim Club, was at St. Croix at a spring training camp when he got the call.

"Michael, do you think 28.16 is fast?" she asked Lohberg.

"Typical Leila, she was serious," Lohberg said. "I told her it depends on how she looks at it. Considering that nobody ever swam faster, I think it is pretty good. I think she could be the first woman under 28 seconds. Maybe not at this meet, but eventually."

Since Lohberg didn't have Broadband Access at St. Croix, another one of his world-class swimmers, Vlad Polyakov of Kazakhstan, called from his college dorm at Alabama at 5:20 a.m. Three hours later Vaziri called.

A former South Florida Sun-Sentinel Swimmer of the Year, Vaziri has been enjoying her most successful season. She won her first national title in August in the 100-meter backstroke in a career-best (1:01.69) and qualified for the national team. After training 13 years, it was her "breakthrough swim."

Vaziri is the first Broward County swimmer to break a world record for the U.S. since Andy Coan of Pine Crest did it in the 100-meter freestyle (51.11) in 1975.

"I am very excited," Vaziri said. "I am more motivated than I have ever been. It's just all falling into place for me and I am swimming fast."

The summers of 2004 and 2005 she was unable to train consistently. She took time off after her father was diagnosed with leukemia and more time off after he died in 2005. When he returned to the pool, she was more determined than ever to succeed.

"Something just clicked," she said.

Lohberg said she started believing in herself and her training. Vaziri said she used a disappointing 100 backstroke semifinal race as her motivation on Wednesday.

"I told her just to do her thing and everybody else would be left in the dust if she just focused on herself," Lohberg said. "I think she just needed an opportunity to come out of her shell. Her awesome technique, tremendous talent, inner strength, determination and focus came together at the right moment for a world record."

Venezuelan national team member Daniela Victoria of Team Weston Aquatics and St. Thomas Aquinas will try today to make the B-qualifying time in the 200-meter breaststroke for the 2008 Olympic Games. She was 38th in the 100 breaststroke in 1:14.21. Diver Jevon Tarantino (Olympic Heights) of Fort Lauderdale Diving was 20th on 1-meter springboard (324.70 points).

Leila Vaziri of the United States set a world record of 28.16 seconds for the women's 50-meter backstroke on Wednesday. The 21-year-old New Yorker burst off the blocks and emerged from the water with a slender lead before slicing 0.03 seconds off the previous record of 28.19 set by Janine Pietsch of Germany in Berlin in 2005.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrsVG1r6N0E&eurl="]YouTube - Vaziri Breaks Women's Backstroke Record[/ame]

Leila Vaziri
    World record holder in backstroke interviewed by Rudi Bakhtiar